A Proud History
John J. Radel entered the funeral service in 1878 after helping a neighbor with the burial of an infant. He opened his first office with a small frame structure at 652 State Avenue in Lower Price Hill, replacing it with a new, larger building by 1903. On December 23, 1902, he incorporated the John J. Radel Company with Joseph Metzner, John A. Radel, John Ruehlmann, and August G. Mueller.
John J. Radel purchased automotive equipment in 1912 to replace his horses and carriages, receiving national publicity as one of the first automobile-serviced funeral homes in the country.
In 1917, at the age of 57, John J. Radel died, a victim of the flu epidemic. His son, Henry J., immediately took charge of the company. Henry was already used to hard work and long hours, looking after the horses and buggies that a number of doctors kept at the Radel stables. Now in charge of the company, he looked toward expansion. A new funeral home was built in Newport, Kentucky at 822 York Street in 1927, replacing a home on Patterson Street, built in 1907. Another funeral home was built in Covington at 1005 Madison Avenue in 1938.
Fares J. Radel began construction on a new concept in the funeral industry which is a state-of-the-art Funeral Home and Crematory with the theme “In Honor of Our Life and Spirit.” The new $2 million facility is located at 5950 Kellogg Avenue, Cincinnati, Ohio.
It is the only private crematory in Greater Cincinnati and raised the bar for the funeral industry in the area, providing upscale cremation and memorial services citywide.
In November 2008, in order to better serve families in the Northern Kentucky area, a new facility was constructed at 4016 Alexandria Pike, Cold Spring, Kentucky to replace the former home in Highland Heights.
Fares J. Radel is CEO of Fares J. Radel Funeral Homes, Inc., Mickey Radel serves as President, and Fares J. Radel, Jr. serves as Executive Vice President.
- Dear Katie, our family just wanted to say 'thank you'. We appreciate the care you have given us in this unexpected death. We said before, you hold a special position in life of caring for people during loss. Thank you for your kindness and care.
- I wanted to extend a heartfelt thank you for your kindness and attention to detail concerning my beloved mother's memorial service. Losing our mom was one of the most painful experiences ever for me and my two sisters. We wanted her service to be tasteful and comfortable. It was that and more. I was very impressed and cannot thank you enough.
- Anyone needing funeral services or cremations needs to really check out Fares J. Radel Funeral Home. The care and respect shown to my children and family and him was beyond belief.
- My family wishes to thank you all for everything. We were so pleased with how everything turned out. We highly recommend your services to anyone who asks. You all made a very difficult time much easier than we ever expected.
- On behalf of my sisters & brother, I would like to 'thank you' for all you had to do to coordinate & arrange our Mother's funeral. We truly appreciate all you did.
- Thank you for all you did to make sure Allan's celebration was as beautiful and perfect as possible. You gave us comfort during this incredibly difficult time and we are so very grateful.
- I wanted to take a moment to thank you for everything you did for us during the death of my mom. You and the staff were so gentle with my dad. Your guidance helped make this time just a little easier. The visitation was beautiful and the DVD is a keepsake. I would truly recommend Fares J. Radel Funeral Home to anyone who asks. Again, thank you for everything.
- Wanted to extend a heartfelt thank you for your kindness and attention to detail concerning my beloved mothers memorial service. I will highly recommend your funeral home to all of my family and friends. You put together the perfect sendoff for our beloved mother.
- Thank you for your guidance and patience with helping us plan the service for my husband. Your insight was invaluable and your facility provided both an inviting and comforting setting for my family and guests. Everything was exactly what we wanted and needed. We couldn’t have asked for anything more.
- We were so very pleased with everything. The flowers were beautiful and Clergyman Becker was wonderful. He knew just what to say not knowing our mother. The entire service was lovely. Thank you for your kindness and friendship.
- The Radel family did the cremation for two of my family members. They were kind, helpful and handled everything with sensitivity and professionalism. I recommend them highly.
The Radel Difference
At Fares J. Radel Funeral Homes and Crematory, we understand what a difficult and sensitive time it is when a family member passes. We distinguish ourselves from other funeral homes in our commitment to making the funeral celebration a rewarding and memorable experience for family and friends.
First and foremost, we are a family-owned funeral home that dates back to 1878, drawing on years of experience and a dedication to the families we serve. It starts with a trained, professional staff that is kind, courteous, and empathetic to your needs throughout the planning and funeral process. Each of our funeral homes offers a beautiful setting and a comprehensive array of service options to personalize the ceremony to the memory of your loved one. In addition, we will work to optimize your arrangements within your budget parameters. We do everything possible to make this an occasion that is meaningful and pleasant to everyone involved.
When considering funeral homes in the Greater Cincinnati area, remember the Radel difference.