Our staff will discuss with you how you can take advantage of Veterans’ death, funeral, cremation, and burial benefits. The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs does an excellent job providing Veterans burial benefits if you use a VA National Cemetery for burial. However, the VA does not provide or pay for funeral or cremation arrangements, transportation, or military honors, all of which can be arranged with our personnel at Fares J. Radel Funeral Homes.
Veterans burial benefits available include a gravesite in any of the 150+ national cemeteries with available space, opening and closing of the grave, perpetual care, a Government headstone or marker, a burial flag, and a Presidential Memorial Certificate – at no cost to the family. Some Veterans may also be eligible for Burial Allowances. Cremated remains are buried or inurned in national cemeteries in the same manner and with the same honors as casketed remains.
Burial benefits available for spouses and dependents buried in a national cemetery include burial with the Veteran, perpetual care, and the spouse or dependents name and date of birth and death will be inscribed on the Veteran’s headstone, at a minimal cost to the family. Eligible spouses and dependents may be buried, even if they predecease the Veteran.
FOR BURIAL IN A PRIVATE CEMETERY
Benefits for Veterans buried in a private cemetery may include a Government headstone, marker or medallion, a burial flag, and a Presidential Memorial Certificate, at no cost to the family. Some Veterans may also be eligible for burial allowances. There are not any VA benefits available to spouses and dependents buried in a private cemetery.
PREPARING IN ADVANCE
Gravesites in the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) national cemeteries cannot be reserved in advance. You should advise your family of your wishes and where your discharge papers* are kept. These papers are very important in establishing your eligibility.
MILITARY FUNERAL HONORS
“Honoring Those Who Served” is the title of the Department of Defense (DOD) program for providing dignified military funeral honors to Veterans who have defended our nation.
Upon the family’s request, Public Law 106-65 requires that every eligible Veteran receive a military funeral honors ceremony, to include folding and presenting the United States burial flag and the playing of Taps. The law defines a military funeral honors detail as consisting of two or more uniformed military persons, with at least one being a member of the veteran’s parent service of the armed forces. The DOD program calls for funeral home directors to request military funeral honors on behalf of the Veterans’ family.
(513) 231-2000 Cincinnati, OH
(859) 261-5860 Newport, KY
- I wanted to extend a heartfelt thank you for your kindness and attention to detail concerning my beloved mother's memorial service. Losing our mom was one of the most painful experiences ever for me and my two sisters. We wanted her service to be tasteful and comfortable. It was that and more. I was very impressed and cannot thank you enough.
- Anyone needing funeral services or cremations needs to really check out Fares J. Radel Funeral Home. The care and respect shown to my children and family and him was beyond belief.
- My family wishes to thank you all for everything. We were so pleased with how everything turned out. We highly recommend your services to anyone who asks. You all made a very difficult time much easier than we ever expected.
- On behalf of my sisters & brother, I would like to 'thank you' for all you had to do to coordinate & arrange our Mother's funeral. We truly appreciate all you did.
- Dear Katie, our family just wanted to say 'thank you'. We appreciate the care you have given us in this unexpected death. We said before, you hold a special position in life of caring for people during loss. Thank you for your kindness and care.
- Thank you for all you did to make sure Allan's celebration was as beautiful and perfect as possible. You gave us comfort during this incredibly difficult time and we are so very grateful.
- Wanted to extend a heartfelt thank you for your kindness and attention to detail concerning my beloved mothers memorial service. I will highly recommend your funeral home to all of my family and friends. You put together the perfect sendoff for our beloved mother.
- Thank you for your guidance and patience with helping us plan the service for my husband. Your insight was invaluable and your facility provided both an inviting and comforting setting for my family and guests. Everything was exactly what we wanted and needed. We couldn’t have asked for anything more.
- We were so very pleased with everything. The flowers were beautiful and Clergyman Becker was wonderful. He knew just what to say not knowing our mother. The entire service was lovely. Thank you for your kindness and friendship.
- I wanted to take a moment to thank you for everything you did for us during the death of my mom. You and the staff were so gentle with my dad. Your guidance helped make this time just a little easier. The visitation was beautiful and the DVD is a keepsake. I would truly recommend Fares J. Radel Funeral Home to anyone who asks. Again, thank you for everything.
- The Radel family did the cremation for two of my family members. They were kind, helpful and handled everything with sensitivity and professionalism. I recommend them highly.